General Procedures for Left Turns
- Well in advance, decide to make your left turn, signal and check your rear gate and blind spot to see if there is a vehicle close to you. Move safely into the left side of the left lane.
- Check for traffic, pedestrians and any other real or potential hazards that may be in or near the intersection. Use the basic left, straight ahead, right, left sweeping pattern.
- Slow down (and shift to a lower gear if you are driving a manual transmission vehicle).
- Check again for real or potential hazards. Make sure you identify oncoming traffic.
- If there are no potential hazards, complete your left turn into the first available driving lane.
View Animation - Left Turn 1